Saturday, December 18, 2010

Trinidad Bound!


I am getting the hell out of dodge folks. I am packing up my headphones, my ipod and my guitar and heading to Trinidad for Christmas. For those of you unfamiliar with Trinidad it's here:

It's the one circled in red. Find it?
My family is from Trinidad and we are heading back for the holidays. Naturally, I am very excited to see family friends and oh yeah, instead of snow, I get this:

Maracas Beach.
Many of ya'll might be unfamiliar with soca music, a popular music style in Trinidad. Soca is a blend of calyspo and chutney music originating in Trinidad. The fusion of West Indian music and East Indian percussive themes led to the creation of this genre. I have grown up with this music and look forward to hearing the new music every year. In recent years (recent is subjective) soca has replaced calypso at the forefront of Carnival. Below you will find some of early Soca releases for Carnival 2011. (ignore the overdubbing "island mix/island mix radio" that's just the hosting website). Enjoy the music, I know I will.





I am going to try and keep the music coming through the holidays, but it might not be everyday. So keep an eye and an ear out for new posts.

Keep Rocking.

No comments:

Post a Comment