Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas in Trinidad

Hi folks.

I have landed safe and sound in the motherland. After a tumultuous journey from St. Louis, stops in Miami (for what felt like forever), and Grenada (for about 15 minutes) I have arrived in Trinidad. Three days after my arrival, my bags have made it too! So all is well. I am having a grand time here, but I do not have internet access everywhere, so posts may not be as frequent. But do not fear! This won't become a"hiatus" like back in April.

Today I wanted to share with you all some more music from Trinidad. Today it is Parang. Parang is a music from Trinidad, played mostly around Christmas time. It's like caroling, but with more instruments and way more fun. For a time, parranderos (the parang players) came to houses and played, or you could find them playing around the country, but now parang is mostly played by established artists. Below you'll find a few Christmas parang songs I was able to find on youtube.

Scrunter: I want a piece ah pork


Scrunter: Leroy


Lord Kitchner: Drink a Ru,


And a Christmas Calypso from Baron:


I had the fortune of seeing a live parang band the other night, they came to a party for my aunt. It was really a great experience, but I regret not having my camera. I did have my camera yesterday when I went to the beach and took this beauty:
Palm Tree at Maracas

I can't think of a better way to spend Christmas.

Hope everyone is having a good holiday!

Keep Rocking.

No comments:

Post a Comment